Monday, September 6, 2010

Art as Invite

Electronic invitations are fantastic.  You can let people know they're invited to your place a dozen times in a year without spending tons of money on paper and stamps, all the while saving the Redwoods... or whatever tree makes cardstock.  But I'm torn as whether or not to have Evite create our wedding invitations.  It's certainly green, as far as both money and planet are concerned.  But I imagine that at least a dozen people in our lives, including me and my fiance, would love to have a hardcopy keepsake of the big day.  And, I feel that because our guestlist will only include around 50 people, it's not that bad to send out something tangible.  The question then becomes, what?
www.birdandbanner.com
Well, look what I found at good-ole, reliable Martha Stewart Weddings today: Handkerchief  Wedding Invitations!  An invitation beautiful enough to hang as wall art.  And maybe, just maybe, that's what it will be treated as.  Whether hung or framed or tucked away in a keepsake drawer these invites are meant to be kept and not added to a landfill - so that makes it green, if you ask me.  And if created consciously, they can also be the other kind of green... I think.
Grace and Aaron, the couple that created this particular invite, used a company called Bird and Banner to silkscreen the information onto handkerchiefs that the couple collected before their wedding, in addition to a few pieces that were already in the family.  The bride took great care to match the right handkerchief with the right guest.  And some of the gentlemen invited even wore the invitations as pocket squares in their suits the day of the wedding.  Come on, tell me that's not all kinds of awesome.
www.birdandbanner.com
My idea for making this project as affordable as possible would be to gather family handkerchiefs, if you've got 'em, and purchase the rest at thrift stores aiming for each piece to come in under a buck.  Next, get a stamp made at your neighborhood office store, or at an online crafty place like Etsy that has all of the invite info as simply phrased as possible.  Just the facts, ma'am.  The details can be expressed at your wedding website.  And instead of using another company to silkscreen, use your custom stamp and fabric ink to create the finished product.  All that said, I'm not exactly sure how successful that will be, since I haven't yet tried it.  But I'm gonna!  'Cause this is what I want my wedding invitation to be!  I'll let you know how (if) it works out.
~ the green/green bride

7 comments:

  1. As one thrifty crafty chick to another, I'm not sure if that method will work but I suggest getting some muslin to practice on. And don't get a custom made stamp till you know it does, just practice with a borrows stamp that's all font and no picture. I'm afraid the fabric ink will bleed badly all over the place but I'm curious to know if I'm right. Such a sweet idea though. Maybe you can find someone you know to silk screen it for cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to take the wind out of my sails, PJ. Just kidding. I was actually going to add an amendment to the post last night saying that, after giving it more thought, I realized that the font required to say all of the things that need to be said in such a small area would be too small to read, and that the fabric paint would probably bleed. But I will experiment. And I will find a way... I'm too in love with this idea to let it slip away.
    xo t

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go onto etsy. You might be able to find someone who will silk screen for you for cheap. I think there's some place where you can bid on people to do things for you. Click around, I'm pretty sure it's there and even if it's not you might find someone who does silk screening who likes the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about handmade paper invites? Huh? Huh? Looks easy enough and it might be a little less labor intensive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paper's for the birds. I want handkerchief invites! :)
    xo t

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check this seller out on etsy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/46604224/sneezy-sheets-2-silk-screened?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=silk+screened+handkerchiefs&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes[0]=tags&includes[1]=title

    I know they are expensive but I bet if you negotiated they could do you a deal.

    ReplyDelete